Monday, April 12, 2010

It Finally Happened

Today I took advantage of using some better time management skills. I didn't stay late after school today, and I didn't pick up Andy from the babysitter at the first opportunity. Instead, I changed into my workout clothes and set off for the gym. "Gym" doesn't exactly do this place justice. This is where we go, and I really like it, but I sure haven't been getting there as often as I would like. Or as often as I need to. But today, I was determined for it to be different.

In the end, I had a nice little workout and still made it home in time to have dinner with everyone and some playtime with Andy before putting him to bed.

More importantly, now I know that it is possible for me to make this work. And that must be worth something. My next step is for me to be comfortable leaving Andy in the child care center at the gym. It's funny, we've paid for Andy to be on the membership with us so that we can leave him at the child care center for months, OK, almost a year, but I have been too chicken to actually leave him there. Any tips?

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:20 AM

    Good for you for squeezing in a workout! We don't have a gym membership so I can't give you my opinion, but have a 2 good friends that do and take their kids with them. They love that daycare in the gym!

    I love my 9/80 schedule (9 hours a day for 8 days, 8 hours on the last day so I am off every other Friday) too much to give it up especially in lieu of a gym! I don't get home until after 5 and lately Miles is going to bed at 8:00. That's too little and too precious time to "waste" on working out, for me anyway. I am hoping with the warmer weather we can use some of that time to go for family walks around the 'hood. Actually did that last night in his new wagon and it was quite nice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! The gym looks amazing. Hope you are comfortable bringing Andy there with you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:13 AM

    Take him to Mimi's sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Figure out when it is going to be slow and try it out then. That is what has worked for me. It also helps if the same worker is always there when you like to go. Help Andy develop a connection with that worker.

    At the gym where I go I have learned that Mondays & Saturdays are really busy and it overwhelms LG. Turns out lunch time is slow most days and he loves it then. It won't work during the school year but keep that in mind this summer. It also helps to avoid times when popular classes are in session.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you!!! We considered a gym membership but with one of our twins having immune system issues we did not want her staying in the kid area so I have an elliptical at home which I love at use at least twice a day. So I do not have any great tips!!

    By the way that is an AWESOME gym!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are there any machines where you can work out and be able to see/hear him? That would be my idea. Take him to the day care, then observe how he does from a (short) distance. If he seems really happy, then you could try moving a bit farther away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:30 AM

    Ya know, Ryan used to cry the first 20 times at the gym--literally. Usually they call you over the PA system if they cry for more than 15 mins. To get him used to it, I would only do 30mins and tell the sitters--let him cry, I will be back in 30. That worked after some time. He may surprise you and do fine. You won't know until you try it. :)

    ReplyDelete