Thursday, May 08, 2008

I'm the Worst Third Grade Teacher Ever

Wanna know why? It's because Mother's Day is this weekend and I haven't had my class make any Mother's Day gifts or cards. See . . . I'm truly horrible. Part of it is that anything beyond construction paper and crayons would have to come out of my personal bank account. And as a sub I'm just not seeing the cash flow to justify spending $30 to $40 on crafty supplies or kits. Also, my file folder of fun little cutesy things to do is packed away in one of about 20 boxes of school stuff in the garage. But even more importantly, I've had the class just so busy trying to get our projects ready for our learning fair coming up later this month. Mostly though I'm just avoiding the whole thing because I'm trying really hard to not think about how absolutely horrid Mother's Day was for me last year, just 4 days after my D&C.

However, even as I type this the guilt is starting to kick in. I guess I'll be hauling out the construction paper and crayons tomorrow so that the kids can create some type of masterpiece.

6 comments:

  1. I don't think you are a bad 3rd grade teacher at all! When I was in 3rd grade I had to make a mother's day card but I didn't have a mom to give it to since we had no idea where she was.

    I would have been relieved if you were my teacher at the time.

    I am sorry of the sad reminder about your D&C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry about the D&C anniversary. Those days are tough enough, without having a major commercial holiday thrown in your face on top of it.

    Thinking of you. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're being too hard on yourself. I'm sure you are a wonderful teacher. I am sorry about your upcoming anniversay of your D & C. Mine was 4 days after Christmas, so that is always a tough time for me. I think that we all just handle these times as best as we can. That's all anyone expects from us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:43 AM

    You never forget a D & C. That is just how it is. Be good to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this year think of it as your a mom to all those little 1st graders. Because you are and as a mother, I am grateful for all the other moms my children have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gawd, could that timing be worse with mother's day? Want me to go kick someone? I"m the angry one, I'm not above it.

    ReplyDelete