Wednesday, February 28, 2007

My Dad's New Wheels


This post is a little overdue, but I wanted to share what's going on with my dad. A couple of days after New Year's my mom and dad bought a Dodge Grand Caravan complete with an auto ramp. Now they are free to go to doctor appointments and errands on their own time, rather than relying on volunteer transportation. My mom is doing a great job navigating the van, and my dad is doing a great job of getting himself in and out of the van. It takes about 10 minutes to get him in or out of the van, and the biggest challenge is making sure that he doesn't smack his head on the way in or out. Sometimes the clearance is a little tight! My dad also got his new wheelchair about a month ago. It seems to be working pretty well for him, but there are still some things that need to be added to and adjusted on the chair.
The biggest news is that my dad started outpatient rehab at a local hospital for occupational and physical therapy. He goes three times a week for two hours at a time. He is already making improvements! This is really encouraging as it means he is on the road to learning how to do some activities independently. And, as long as he makes progress he will continue to receive therapy. Right now he is learning how to feed himself. He has also learned how to turn pages of a magazine so he can read and browse through his train magazines.
His CarePage has been updated, and has a couple of other photos as well. My parents are also planning more updates. My dad still receives his messages and they really boost his spirits. To visit his CarePage just click on the link on the right hand sidebar, or go to CarePages.com and once you get there click on "visit a carepage". If you aren't signed up with them currently it only takes a minute. To visit my dad's page after you are signed in you have to enter "BobKohl" without any spaces. Thanks so much for your continued support, love and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment