Monday, October 26, 2009

First Annual Family Day

What?!?!? You didn't know that yesterday, October 25th, was Family Day? Let alone the First Annual Family Day?

OK, there's good reason for that . . . . Family Day is not a national holiday, or even a Hallmark holiday, it's a holiday that I made up in my own little head to celebrate Andrew's adoption finalization day.

See? Here we were last year . . .

And how do we celebrate Family Day? Well, first of all, we hang out together all day and do family stuff. Unfortunately, yesterday this meant doing laundry. Brian has been on-call at the hospital seemingly since we got back from Maryland, and he kept getting called in yesterday. Also, we had my dad over for the day so we didn't exactly have any outings planned. Anyhow, we did have a nice dinner planned. Brian bbq'd rib-eye steaks and we also had sweet potato fries and sauteed zucchini. Let's also 'fess up and say that Andy doesn't care for rib-eyes, or zucchini, for that matter. After eating a bunch of sweet potato fries and refusing to touch anything else we finally made him a peanut butter sandwich. Which he rubbed all over his head. Which resulted in this look after I mopped him off . . . .
But back to Family Day . . . . it simply wouldn't be complete without a pretty cake. C'mon, all celebrations require cake!

Unfortunately, before we got to the cake course Brian was called into work. That left me, my dad, and Andy to celebrate.

Andy was very excited about getting his hands on the cake, and just didn't know where to start.
I guess such things really take a lot of thought and contemplation.
Leave it to Molly to show how to get started. Yes, she ran her tongue over the back side of the cake.
The pictures stopped right about now. I got a look at the clock and realized that we needed to get my dad back over to his house before his wheelchair turned into a pumpkin. I cut some cake for him and we took it with us. By the time I got home at 10:00 Brian had just gotten home and was not so much in the celebratory mood. He went to take a shower, and I had a piece of Family Cake by myself.
So, Family Day didn't quite go as I had planned, but that's more than OK, there is always next year. I didn't get any family pictures of the 3 of us, and that's OK too. We had a good time playing with our boy and that's what matters.
And now that we've had our first annual Family Day I've done all kinds of thinking. I think everyone should have one, even if you don't have an adoption to celebrate. I'm going to encourage all the other families in our family to also celebrate on October 25 . . . but for the rest of you, please pick out another date that you can celebrate being a family. And just so you know, you don't have to have kids to celebrate Family Day. All that you need is a day set aside to celebrate being together and happy. Oh, and a pretty cake wouldn't hurt either.
Please leave me a comment letting me know when your Family Day is going to be!

10 comments:

  1. Brenda from CA8:12 AM

    I REALLY enjoyed your post! How cool is your Family Day Celebration! Sorry to hear that Brian wasn't able to be around so much, but hey, cake still tastes great the next day... Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy family Day! I Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Family Day!!! Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome! Happy Family Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Family Day!

    I love the idea of family day!

    Such great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:24 PM

    I love your idea. I will pick the 25th too. It is the first day in a long time that all 5 of us were together most of the day without any friends over. We spent the day raking, but we were together. I wish we would have had cake.

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Family Day! I love that it's the day before my wedding anniversary so I won't be able to help but remember it. :-)

    My sister and her husband adopted two sisters from Russia over 10 years ago. The date that their adoption was finalized (December 20th) has always been known as Taylor Family Day. When the girls were little, they would even keep them home from school while my sister and hubby took the day off work. It was really special. Now that their kids are evil teenagers, the bloom is off the rose on the whole event, but I think they do still celebrate in some fashion.

    We sort of unofficially celebrate our family day on New Year's Day each year. It was on January 1, 2004 that I took a pregnancy test and learned (shockingly, after 1.5 years of trying to no avail) that Megan was on her way. I can still close my eyes and remember the feeling I had inside when I saw that test. I hope I never lose that memory, and I believe that you've just inspired me to formalize our Family Day celebration. Of course the explanation about how it coincides with a pee test will need to be saved for later. :-)

    BTW, my brother lives in Phoenix and we are waaaaay overdue for a visit to see him. We will get there in 2010 and will make it a twofer by visiting you too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Family Day! Love the pictures, especially the one of the dog licking the cake - hilarious! I'm so happy for you all! Well since we don't have kids, I suppose our family day will just be our anniversary which is approaching next week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you know your a "real" family when you plan a special dinner/celebration and it turns out with some of the family missing and the dog licking the cake and in the end its alright anyway. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to get to our family day! In my mind, it'll be a bigger deal than V's birthday...

    ReplyDelete