Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Call

One year ago today, when we very least expected it, we got it. THE call. Of course, we didn't exactly know it at the time. At the time it just seemed to be A call. Our home study and profile had been active with our agency for 3 months. We had previously been called to see if we would give permission to show our profile to a specific situation. We weren't chosen that time. We had previously been called to say that we had been chosen, but we declined the situation. That had been a mere two weeks before. One year ago today I received a call from the owner of our agency to verify that we were still interested in an open adoption. We were. She told me that in the evening they would be showing our profile to a birth family. She gave me a little bit of information. The birth mother was currently 8 months pregnant with a baby boy. She asked if this would be OK with us. Umm, yeah, it was OK.

I called B to tell him what I had agreed to, and he was OK with it. Truthfully, I didn't think about it much over the rest of the day. After all, we had only been waiting for 3 months and I was prepared to be patient.

That evening I went to my Resolve infertility support group meeting at Mimi's. Part way through my cell phone rang. It was B. There was good news and bad news. The good news? We had been chosen. The bad? Well, we may have to postpone our vacation to Alaska that was scheduled for 2 days later. Let me just tell you that I didn't consider that to be bad news!

Within a mere month we could say with complete certainty that the call had indeed been THE call. My sweet baby boy is now 11 months old. A year ago it was impossible to know the sheer joy that THE call would bring to us over the next year. But from here, from now . . . it was THE call that brought joy back to our lives and made everything right with the world.

10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You probably won't believe it, but I still have the voicemail you left on my phone asking me to pray because your profile was going to be shown that night. It's saved on there and I listen to it every now and again - it brings me hope that someday our dreams will all come true as well. :)

    And I also remember so clearly when your phone rang at our dinner - and staring at you just DYING to know what B was telling you.

    So happy for you and your sweet family. And I cannot believe your boy is 11 months!! It's amazing how time flies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Just before we left for Chicago we found out that Asher's godparents had received their call. We got there Saturday, they picked up their little boy Monday and Asher and I had the honor of being that new mom's help for the first couple days while she got her work stuff sorted and everything in order. I was sooo blessed to be included in that precious time, even just to be able to go shopping for them (they had one onesie, one sleeper, no Dreft). So happy for you and them and these wonderful baby boys who have no idea how much joy they bring to our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Has it been a year already? I am so glad he is a part of your lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This made me tear up! My heart is swooning for your joy

    ReplyDelete
  6. This gave me cold chills! I am so happy you got your happy ending! It's insane that he's almost one!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are so happy that you got that call. I know it was a crazy time for you but it all worked out swimmingly. :0) We think Andrew is wonderful and we're very happy for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very very happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, time really flies doesn't it. It's so awesome this all worked out:-)

    ReplyDelete