Thursday, October 11, 2007

Progesterone Ponderings

For those who are new to the whole IVF thing I'd like to share my experience with progesterone. IVF patients have to be supplemented with enough progesterone to support a pregnancy. This starts a couple of days before embryo transfer. Per my protocol (and really, this method is quite common) I get my progesterone in the form of progesterone in oil, aka PIO. It is injected with an inch and a half long needle into my hip each night. Because I am so lucky and "suffer" from advanced maternal age I also have to use progesterone suppositories that are crammed up my hoo-ha each night.

The PIO injections are the scariest part when contemplating IVF. Everyone always complains about how painful they are and how they are the bane of life with an IVF cycle. Let me tell you how it has been going. The first night I got myself all psyched up. Brian would be doing the honors, because frankly, I don't even want to see the syringe let alone the needle because the first time I saw the needle I realized that I have used smaller nails to hang pictures on the wall. I layed down on my stomach with my face in a pillow. He swiped the area on my hip with an alcohol wipe. (The area had been clearly marked by the nurse with a sharpie in order to narrow down the prime target.) I heard Brian gasp, then I felt the poke. And then it was over. Easy as pie. The next night went much the same, including Brian's pre-poke gasp, except we used the other hip. And the next night, again, went much the same, including Brian's pre-poke gasp, except we used the first hip. I couldn't believe that this could really be this easy and pain free! What kind of lucky duck am I?

Well, I'm not. The reality of progesterone has caught up with me. I'm sporting knotty rainbow colored lumps on both hips. I've had to start using a heated rice sock afterwards on the violated hip. And I finally had to ask beg Brian to stop his pre-poke gasp because it was not very comforting to hear.

And how does this progesterone make me feel? Well, let me tell you, my boobs have been sore since before I even had any embryos in me! What kind of garbage is that? My nose drips like a faucet. I'm a tad bit emotional. I'm tired, and all I do is sit around the house. And today I got really, really nauseous and tried to lose my breakfast. That has subsided a bit, and I now just feel mildly queasy. So, as you can see, I am blaming absolutely everything on the progesterone. Including paying the Discover bill late. Oh, I think it also might make me a little whiny.

13 comments:

  1. I hate progesterone. Hate it. HATE it! But it is a necessary evil.

    Not to mention, I just read about your experience with it, and realized that the "colds" I was getting each cycle were actually progesterone induced. Feh!

    Good on ya for surviving those needles, and here's hoping for some great news in the coming weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey - that queasiness sounds like something else entirely!?!

    I have never taken progesterone by needle but I've taken it the hoo-ha way and I don't like it either.

    I'm sorry you're not feeling well but remember the ants!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least your DH is willing to give you the shot! I will have to find some random family member to give mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'd be emotional and whiny if my hip was being poked every night too.

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sing it, sista! I I hate PIM - that would be progesterone in ME! They increased my dose this last month, and I seriously thought I was going to lose it. Just keep on keepin'. This will pay off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh-- I'm so sorry you have to go through this...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:35 PM

    Yeah, I'd be a bit bitchy too if someone was always poking at me with needles. I think you have earned the right to be moody, bitchy, emotional, whatever. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry it's not going as well as it was, but it's kinda funny in that f*d up way. I'm afraid to go to the needles too, and hearing him GASP each time would just make it so much worse! Ack! He does it lovingly but jesus boy, now I know FOR SURE when you're doing it:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:47 AM

    What a nightmare. Sorry about the rainbow knots growing on your hip! How long do the shots go on for? My IVF Dr. only does progesterone suppositories for 12 days, he doesn't think that it is necessary for longer than that. Makes me nervous but he is the expert (I hope).

    When do you get your beta test?? I am SO hopeful for you. I have been on 400 mg per day of progesterone for 4 cycles (2 natural cycles, 2 IUI cycles) and never got nauseous...only tired, sore boobs and emotional. So your nausea is making me pause. All appendages crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, you know how I feel about the progesterone. It's necessary, but OH SO evil.

    How are you feeling today?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh, PIO and PIhoohoa. You're a real trouper. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yikes! I have not had the pleasure of PIO or the lovely suppositories so I can't really relate but I can certainly sympathize. I sure hope this pays off big time in the end.

    And I hope that whole Discover incident was a super early case of preggo brain :)

    Thinking of and praying for you! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous12:51 PM

    im sitting here about to puke myself - which is how I found this website. good god.

    ReplyDelete